Welcome! We are Nicholas and Caroline Han and we’re here to tell you about Elemental Affairs.
With a passion for volunteerism, an entrepreneurial spirit and shared love for travel, an idea sparked to embark upon a new venture together. Our fascination with the elements and how they work with one another led us to the start of Elemental Affairs.
Elemental Affairs is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to raising awareness of global issues by fostering the development of self-sustaining communities around the world. We wanted to broaden our range of community service by implementing a cause and service with each of the four elements:
- AIR: bringing clean air to areas of immediate need through renewable energy
- FIRE: fighting for hunger relief in impoverished regions across the globe
- WATER: supplying clean water by building better sanitation systems
- EARTH: designing sustainable permaculture programs
Our first stop is at Awhi Farm in Turangi, New Zealand where we’ll be staying for 2 weeks to focus on the Earth element and learn all about permaculture and sustainable living. Some of the projects we’ll be working on include:
- Planting native Maori potatoes (kumara) and corn
- Preparing the land for next year’s harvest
- Building water collection sites
- Learning about perennial food systems (perennial: lasting or existing for a long or apparently infinite time)
- Practicing regenerative agriculture by creating man-made soil
We’re very excited to start our journey and get our hands dirty with our first project! We really hope to create a culture of volunteerism and inspire others to make an impact.
Stay tuned for more updates along the way!